Published On: Sun, Mar 17th, 2019

Was New Zealand terrorist who MASSACRED 50 people radicalised during trip to UK?

The 28-year-old alleged Australian white supremacist toured Europe and came to Britain to stay for up to a fortnight in 2017, according to The Sunday Telegraph. A senior Government source has confirmed Tarrant “transited” through the UK and stayed “for a few weeks”. The source also said Tarrant was not on a “watch list”. Security services across the world are trying to piece together Tarrant’s movements to historic battlegrounds and cities connected to wars between Christians and Muslims.

In his “manifesto”, Tarrant explains how he “decided to commit a violent attack” when his views “dramatically changed” during April and May of 2017 while in western Europe.

British security sources have not found any links between Tarrant and any groups or individuals residing in the UK.

In the summer of 2017, it is believed he hired a car in eastern France while visiting war graves before heading to the UK.

French intelligence services are trying to find out whether Tarrant contacted any extremists while he was there.

READ MORE: New Zealand terror suspect called for killing of Sadiq Khan and Merkel

Turkish authorities are also looking at the possibility Tarrant planned a terrorist attack during two separate visits he made to Turkey.

Between 2016 and 2017 it is thought Tarrant visited Turkey, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Croatia, France, Portugal, Spain, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and the UK.

It comes as relatives of those murdered in the two mosques continue to wait for confirmation of the identities of those killed in Christchurch.

Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson has since demanded social media platforms freeze their websites in the event of a terrorist attack to prevent people sharing potentially graphic images.

After Tarrant broadcast the shootings live on Facebook, Mr Watson has said a “radical rethink” is needed.

He said: “If social media sites can’t stop the videos being uploaded to their platforms then they should suspend all uploads.

“If you have to review a massacre to assess whether it breaches your terms and conditions you’ve got the wrong business model.”

Facebook New Zealand’s director of policy Mia Garlick said in a statement: “New Zealand Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video.

“We’re also removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we’re aware.

“We will continue working directly with New Zealand Police as their response and investigation continues.”

Source link


Most Popular Posts